Diamond, King of Trolls

Fantasy, sci-fi, logic, skepticism, college and the awkward beginnings of a blog.

Thursday, April 8, 2010

Fear of Failure

I think that's my problem, honestly. I keep promising myself that I'll do better in my classes, that I'll get my work done on time and make sure it's quality stuff... and I do, for a while.
Then something goes wrong.
Whether it's my fault or not, something happens, and everything goes to hell. I miss a homework assignment, I get sick and miss a quiz, I realize that I slept through a class... whatever it is, it throws me off, and my grades tank. Not just in the class that I screwed up (or got unlucky) in, but all of them.
I hate it, but I don't know what to do about it. The only thing I can think of is to take a trip to the counselor's office here on campus and hope that they have some tips. At this point, though, this semester is probably unsalvageable.
Thanks to everyone at the JREF chat room for all your support. It's reached the point where I just can't talk to my parents about it any more, because I can't stand their reactions. Your combination of sympathy and tough love has helped a lot.
I'm going to try to raise my grades as much as possible in what little time there is left in the semester, but I don't think that there will be much change. All I can do is visit my counselor, try to get over this and hope that I'll be able to suppress it next semester.

Him who mountain crush him no
Him who sun him stop him no
Him who hammer him break him no
Him who fire him fear him no
Him who raise him head above him heart
Him diamond

- Translation of troll pictograms
Terry Pratchett, Thud!

1 comment:

  1. This is one of the dumbest things I have ever read. You owe me fifteen brain cells to replace the ones that died when I looked at this page.

    ReplyDelete